How to Use Pipe Screens
As you may already know, there is an essential accessory for a clean and smooth smoke. A pipe screen is a perfect way to keep your pipe clean and avoid ashes and burnt herb from going into your lungs. Moreover, they are extremely convenient if you have a bong or a bubbler since they will also keep the water clean for long periods of time. There is no reason why you shouldn’t get a pipe screen.
In case this is your first time purchasing a pipe screen, you may be pretty confused as to how to use it correctly. You may think that it is just about placing the screen in your bowl and you are ready to go. This, however, isn’t entirely true. That is why we will help you learn how to use pipe screens correctly so that you can make the most out of your new acquisition.
How to Put a Screen In a Pipe
The most common reason why users like to get a pipe screen is to avoid the common pull-through. This happens when a user takes strong pulls that are too hard on ash and herb, leading to herb pieces being pulled through the air channel and ending up in your mouth. With the right pipe screen, you will avoid many problems like this.
However, for it to perfectly work, you will need to learn how to put a screen in a pipe the right way. It may seem like a simple step, but still, you need to make sure it fits your bowl to give you the right results.
First, you need to pick the material of your pipe screen. From stainless steel screens to glass ones, there are many different options to meet your needs. If you aren’t a frequent smoker, you may want to get brass or stainless steel screens, since they are disposable but still come in bulk. This allows you to have plenty of them to replace after a few smoking sessions.
In case you are a frequent smoker, you will do better with a glass or titanium pipe screen. These are more durable and can be cleaned several times. Moreover, they won’t modify the taste of your herb as metal pipe screens would do, which is an important aspect to look after.
When it comes to glass screens, it is important to get the right size. Naturally, bigger pipes require bigger screens, which are closer to 1 inch in diameter. On the other hand, smaller pipes can fit smaller screens that are usually closer to 0.5 inches in diameter.
To use pipe screens, follow these simple steps:
- Clean out your bowl: it is important to make sure that your bowl doesn’t have ash or herb beneath it. Thoroughly clean it and put it in proper conditions.
- Make sure you have the right size pipe screen: as we mentioned before, you need to make sure that the screen you are using fits your bowl well. If it is too small, it will fall through the hole, causing clogging. Likewise, a larger screen will be loose, and they will prevent you from packing your bowl completely. In case you are using a stainless steel pipe screen, you can rest assured that it will fit your bowl, as they come in universal sizes.
- Pack your bowl: after placing your pipe screen in the bowl, pack it the same as you normally would, just with the screen pipe on the bottom. In case you struggle with this step, learn how to pack a bowl.
- Remove it: after smoking your herb, gently remove your pipe screen. You can shake it shake to remove the ash from it, in case it is a mesh screen, or wipe it with a cloth, in case of a glass pipe screen. Then, place it back in your bowl or store it.
- Reuse or clean your pipe screen as needed: make sure your pipe screen is clean before using it again. You can use a brush in case you just have some ash here and there. However, If it has some resin buildup in it, you can always choose to clean it. Additionally, remember to constantly change your stainless steel or brass pipe screens when they start to have big holes in them.
Remember not to overheat your metal pipe screens, since they can be damaged and release toxic fumes. You can change your metal screen pipes once every 15 days or so, all depending on how much you smoke.
Getting the right pipe screen for your pipe and learning how to use it is one of the most important things for a smooth smoke. Although there are many different takes on this product, we can all agree that these pieces are essential to a great smoke and add to your general experience.