How to Clean a Pipe with Boiling Water
Estimated 4-minute read
Every cannabis connoisseur will agree on the following statement: keeping your pipes clean can be just as crucial as the buds’ quality you plan to smoke. Suppose you have ever felt any unpleasant taste when using your favorite pipe. In that case, you should be aware of the importance and the significant difference between smoking with a clean and a dirty smoking device because the quality, comfort, and even practicality of your experience will depend on this.
If your favorite pipe tastes terrible, or you see stains are beginning to form, don’t panic. Cleaning it factory-fresh-like is possible in a variety of ways. The boiling water method is one of the most commonly used and popular ways of cleaning a pipe. If you’re one of those who wonder which is the best way to clean a pipe with boiling water, you came to the right place.
We have compiled some simple and practical methods to clean your old and reliable smoking device with materials you can find inside your house. Although there are some slight variants in these methods, you will get the work done with the same equipment.
How to Clean a Glass Pipe with Boiling Water
Glass and metal pipes are between the most popular and regularly used among cannabis consumers. Without a doubt, these devices are an old favorite, primarily due to the reliability and practicality they can offer to the user when smoking cannabis flowers. If you are one of those who use the pipe regularly and see grime stains forming or see the bowl is starting to get clogged with that tar-like black resin, it is the perfect time to give a good clean to your pipe.
- Bowl or zip bag
- Oven mitt
- Cotton swabs
- Paper towels or cloth piece
- Take a toothpick and remove the residue stuck to the walls of the pipe’s bowl.
- Turn on the stove to medium heat, pour water into the cookpot, and put the water to boil. Wait until the water is warm, and take water enough to rinse your pipe.
- Use a cotton swab to brush off the dirt from your pipe and rinse it with warm water. Warming up the pipe before getting it into the boiling water will ensure it will not break with the hot temperature.
- Take the boiling water off the stove and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Place your pipe into the bowl and pour the water into it. Make sure the water completely covers the pipe and let it soak for one hour.
There is an alternative way to do this step. You can place the pipe inside the boiling water and let it simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Repeat this step until you don’t see any gunk or stains. Make sure the pipe is always fully submerged in the boiling water. You may need to add a bit more water as the hot water evaporates.
- Take the pipe out of the water with an oven mitt and rinse it with warm water. That way, the glass pipe will have a safe temperature transition.
- Grab a clean cotton swab and remove the remaining stains or dirt. Rinse the pipe with warm water again.
- Use a paper towel or a cloth piece to dry the pipe. Let the pipe rest for 20 to 30 minutes to let the remaining moisture dry.
- If you see lingering stains, you can soak the pipe into a mixture of lemon juice and 30 to 50 ml of water. Take the pipe out of the solution and let it dry.
How to Clean a Metal Pipe with Boiling Water
People who love metal pipes have good reasons for doing so. These gadgets are among the trusted and long-lasting friends of a stoner as they will allow you to get a few touches out of them whenever and wherever you want. Cleaning a metal pipe would be even more straightforward than the glass pipe as you won’t have the risk of the pipe breaking with the boiling water’s hot temperature.
- Remove all ash or gunk from your pipe with a toothpick and rinse the pipe with water. Use a cotton swab to remove the remaining dirt and rinse the pipe with water again.
- Fill the cookpot with water and put it to a boil. Then set the stove to medium so you can get a cascade of boiling bubbles breaking the water surface.
- Place your metal weed pipe into the boiling water and let it simmer for 30 minutes. The water will evaporate as it boils, so check that your pipe doesn’t end up alone in the hot pan cause the pipe will damage or be dangerous.
- Remove the cookpot from the stove and let it cool for a few minutes. Then drain the water and take your pipe using the oven mitt as it will be scorching. You can repeat this process until your pipe is completely clean.
- With a cotton swab, clean any remaining stain or persistent dirt from the pipe.
Whether you have a glass, metal, wood, and even regardless of the type of smoking device you have, it is essential to keep good maintenance and care of your smoking gadgets to ensure a pleasant and comfortable smoking experience. Remember, prevention is the best caution, and, in your pipe case, it is also the best care. So it is always better to clean it before it gets completely clogged. That way, you can even prolong your pipe’s life.