Estimated 4-minute read
The 19th century certainly gave birth to many great inventions. For instance, cheddar cheese gave life to the industrialization and standardization of the methods used to create this delicious side dish. But have you ever thought of cheddar cheese and cannabis?
With the exponential growth that the cannabis industry has had in the last decade and all the recent scientific studies that support this plant’s wide range of healing properties, you can currently find endless ways to consume it. Cannabis-infused edibles are undoubtedly one of the public’s favorites and have gained a lot of popularity. And if you're thinking about marijuana and cheddar cheese, the answer is yes. You can totally make your own cannabis-infused cheddar cheese.
We have brought a practical recipe for all these cheese lovers in which you can prepare from scratch the best and most delicious cannabis-infused cheddar cheese. Just imagine all the exquisite dishes you could prepare; Canna-Cheeseburger, cannabis grilled cheese, cannabis nachos, cannabis-infused mac & cheese, or any other cheese preparation you can think of. With your cannabis-infused cheddar cheese, you will have all the versatility of cheese and the power of cannabis in the same product. So, if you feel in the mood to make your own “highly” delicious cheddar cheese, get all the ingredients and equipment that you need, and let’s get to work.
Cannabis Cheese Recipe
- A long and sharpened knife
- Long-handled wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Cheese press
- 7 L or 1.8 gallons of fresh, raw milk
- 1 L of cannamilk
- 1/4 tsp or 1.25 ml of mesophilic culture
- 1/2 tsp or 2.5 ml of liquid animal rennet
- 2 tbsp or 35 g of fine sea salt
- Gush the canna milk and the raw milk together into the stockpot and heat the content until it reaches an even temperature of 90 °F.
- Strew the mesophilic culture over the milk and whisk it into the mixture until the culture dissolves and the materials are homogeneously combined. Then, let the cultured milk mature for an hour.
- Dilute the animal rennet and slowly shed it into the milk while you mix continuously as you add it. Keep mixing for at least 5 minutes.
- Let the milk sit for 2 hours until it develops a curd firm enough to make clean cuts with a knife in it.
- With a long knife, cut the curd into 1/4-inch cubes and let them sit for an additional 15 minutes. The cubes don’t need to be perfectly uniform. However, they should be approximately the same size.
- Proceed to increase the milk´s temperature gradually until it reaches 100 to 102° F.
- Use a long-handled spoon to stir the curds every few minutes. That way, you prevent the curds from matting or clumping to the pot. Keep stirring for about 45 minutes, and you will see the curds will begin to shrink considerably.
- Place a cheesecloth-lined colander over a clean sink, basin, or a larger empty stockpot and pour the curds in the colander. Drain them for about 15 minutes using a spoon or your fingers to stir occasionally.
- Take the curds, put them onto a chopping board, and cut them into five evenly sized pieces. Then, put all the curds back in the pot.
- Fill a large pot with 102°F water and place the pot with the curds into it. Make sure to keep the curds’ temperature right around 100°F and turn the curd slices every 15 minutes for 2 hours. After this time, the curds should be firm and shiny.
- Now, take out the curd slices from the pot and cut them into ½-inch cubes. Put back the curds inside the pot, cover it, and repeat the double boiling process with 102°F water. Stir the curds smoothly with the wooden spoon every 10 minutes at 3 different times.
- Remove the pot from the double boil and add salt. Then, stir gently to mix the salt into the curds.
- Cover the cheese press with a piece of cheesecloth and smoothly place the curd in the press. Wrap the cloth around the cheese and press at 10 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes.
- Take the cheese off the press, unwrap it, and flip the cheese. Re-wrap it using a clean piece of cheesecloth. Press it at 40 pounds of pressure for 12 hours.
- Remove the cheese off the press again, unwrap it, flip it, and re-wrap it using another piece of clean cheesecloth, then press it at 50 pounds of pressure for 24 hours.
After completing all these steps, you will have in your hands a cannabis cheddar cheese full of flavor and potency. This is a product that you can enjoy both in your day to day or as an aperitif for a party or meeting with friends.
Remember that the potency of the effects of cannabis within the cheese will depend entirely on the amount of herb used to make the canna-milk added to the preparation of the cheddar cheese. For that reason, we recommend keeping this cannabis-infused cheddar separate from the rest of your regular food and out of the reach of children to in this way avoid inconveniences or bad times. After all, a simple sandwich made with this delicious cheese could offer you a genuinely uplifting and relaxing experience for a few hours. In the same way, remember not to abuse the consumption of this cheese because, when it comes to edibles with cannabis infusion, you can add more edible but not remove it. So be careful with the dosage of cheese you eat at the time.